How To Become An Interior Designer Without A Degree & No Experience
To become an interior designer without a degree, you would need to have the following skills:
- Ample understanding of light, shapes and spaces
- A creative bent of mind
- In-depth knowledge and psychology of colours
- How to combine colours
- Knowledge of ventilation and air flow
- Safety measures while designing a space
- Proper knowledge of utility services like plumbing, construction of false ceiling and carpentry
- Knowledge of how to sketch a blueprint
Apart from these skills, there are a few different practices that can help you become an interior designer without a degree:
- It is advisable to go for an internship with an interior designing firm or a professional interior designer to pick up the tricks of the trade.
- Pick up small spaces in your own house or a friend’s house and try design in different ways. Document your work in pictures and with proper concept notes.
- Practice making blueprints of small spaces and how you would like to design it.
- Follow YouTube videos to learn about layout planning and practise regularly.
- Pick up a space and try to transform it with different ideas. Don’t restrict yourself to residential spaces. Try office spaces, too.
- Keep yourself updated about the latest trends and happenings in the world of interior designers.
- Keenly follow the work of professional designers.
- Design aspects like electrical, HVAC, plumbing, RCC, metal fabrication, ergonomics and BOQs are integral part of interior design. Hence, it will help if you can learn about these aspects using online tools and tutorials.
- Equip yourself with the knowledge of some important and easy-to-use drafting software like AutoCAD, SketchUp and SolidWorks.