How to Become a Makeup Artist
Makeup now has become a habit that both men and women have. With time, makeup has evolved to become a career chosen by hundreds. Not only are there makeup artists that work for TV, theatre but there are bloggers that run their own channels on online platforms like YouTube. A good makeup can turn the visual appeal of a show completely. For instance, Game of Thrones or even the superhero movies. They wouldn’t have had the same appeal without the right kind of makeup and graphics.
Makeup artists are not only trained to change the way the characters look but also to enhance the characterization.
So, let’s see how to become a professional makeup artist, the courses available in India and the scope it has.
How to Become a Professional Makeup Artist
Makeup, especially in the glamour industry, has been evolving as quickly as any other career option. Artists who are engaged for big budget movies, are not only highly trained but have technical skills like face sculpting and prosthetics.
Here are a few ways to acquire those skills and courses available in India:
- As of now, there are no degree courses available in India. Individuals who want to pursue a career in makeup, can opt for a Diploma or a crash course in makeup from the following institutes:
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- Shahnaz Hussain International Beauty Academy, Delhi
- Fat Mu Pro Makeup course, Mumbai
- To pursue the aforementioned courses, you just need to finish your 10+2. Alternatively, you can pursue this course even on a part-time basis.
- These days, self-taught artists are reigning the internet with their respective tutorials. So, if you think you are skilled enough, you can begin by posting videos on your social media page.
- Big brands like VLCC, Lakme and Revlon run their own training institutes for makeup artists. Also, these companies have a bond that directs that after completion of the course, the trainee will have to join the company and work with them.
- Cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore offer a plethora of crash courses in makeup artistry. Hey are mostly run by celebrity makeup artists residing in these cities. They advertise about these courses on their social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. So, keep an eye out to find out about the same.
Skills Needed to Be a Successful Makeup Artists
To become a successful makeup artist, one should be creative and should know how to experimentalism. One should also be well-versed with cosmetic ingredients and skin allergies, skin care routines and the colour palettes. Listed below are some of the skills required by artists:
- Sense of colour mixing.
- Skin care
- Skin allergies
- Chemicals found in makeup products
- Ability to make conversations with the clients and to understand what they need
Scope of Professional Makeup Artistry in India
Following are some of the career options that an individual can look for after completing a course in makeup artistry:
- Celebrity makeup artist
- Celebrity stylist
- Retail store makeup artist
- Makeup artists for salon and spas
- Theatre makeup artists
- Makeup artists for public events
How to Become a Celebrity Makeup Artist?
To become a celebrity makeup artist in India, an individual would need to do the following:
- Complete the course on time
- Make contacts through appropriate networking
- Market their talent well using various social media channels like Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
- Attend significant events in the makeup industry and use them as a platform to showcase talent
- Keep oneself updated with the latest trends and events in the world of makeup artistry
- They can also sign-up with agencies to get in touch with influential clients
Who are Some of the Well-Known Makeup Artists to Follow?
Here’s a list of some well-known international makeup artists whose work you can follow online to get professional tips:
- Kimberly Basso
- Billy Brasfield
- Bobbi Brown
- Beau Nelson
- Julie San Augustine
- Lora Allenalo